Sunday, February 7, 2010

Your New Life Starts Today

Jillian, Fowler and Emma pose for her adoption photo.

Dear Emma,

Did you know your new life started today? You may have thought Brogan and I were your forever family. We sure do love you like you are. But really we were just a stop along the way. Your first family may have done the best they could, but they didn't do you any favors. Leaving you to starve in an abandoned garage with your six babies would have taught most creatures never to trust again. You're a tough little girl, though. You didn't much like being a mother at such a young age, yet you did your best. Your first foster home was a bit chaotic and you didn't feel very safe even though it was better than being alone in the garage. Then I took you away from your babies and made you put up with kisses and cuddles and (for the first few days) being milked. Frankly, Emma, I hope to never 'milk a chihuahua' again... no offense! You were stoic and put on your alien face of mars. Who knew what you were thinking?

Then you started to eat. And cuddle. And kiss. And sleep with me under the big fluffy duvet. And hoard Brogan's toys. And (miracle of miracles) play with Brogan though he outweighs you by 70 pounds. You put him in his place at your feet and me in my place on a pedestal. You let me hold you and love you and watch you bloom. When I first saw you I thought you were possibly the oddest little alien of a dog I'd ever seen. I knew I was lost when I looked at you and saw the most beautiful dog I'd ever seen. I love your fight and sass and I even have a grudging admiration when you take on every pitt bull you've ever met.

Today you went to your new family. They already love the idea of you and soon they will love the real you. They know you can always come back to me, but I don't think you will. I think you were waiting for them and they were waiting for you. There are wonderful dogs, and there are truly special dogs. You are both. Today you started your new life. May you and your new family be blessed by you just being you. I love you, girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment