Friday, July 31, 2009

Emma's First Visit to (Doggie) Disneyland


"Mmm... just smell that rotting seaweed and dead fish ocean smell!!"

For my dog Brogan and me, Sunday afternoon at Fort Funston in San Francisco is a sacred tradition which dates back ten years to life with my first Rottweiler, the unequalled Duncan the Wonder Pup. As soon as they are vaccinated, all my dogs, foster and 'forever' alike, get to experience the pure doggie bliss that is the beach, cliffs and dunes of Fort Funston. On any given weekend, sun or (more likely) thick fog, the parking lot across from Lake Merced is crammed with people either bringing their dogs to the happiest place on earth (dog version) or coming to hang glide.

I wasn't sure how Emma would do off leash. She's made huge strides in coming when I call and is generally not a dog who likes to escape. Like Brogan, she knows how to stick close to her meal ticket! But it's always a bit scary to pop a dog off leash for the first time. Rest assured, Fort Funston, with trails far away from the main road is a safe place to try as long as your dog ISN'T a runner.

Happy dogs at the beach :-)

As soon as I unclipped her leash, Emma looked up at me, shrugged her tiny shoulders and strutted down the path right next to my feet like she owned the place! She showed no fear of the dozens of other dogs along the path and scampered around exploring without ever getting more than twenty feet away from me. This dog continues to be such a marvel... by far the easiest foster I've ever had. Even my beloved pit bull Jodhi (who started out life with me as a foster), took a bit of wrangling on her first Fort Funston visit.

Emma especially loved hiking the dunes and chasing seagulls. Who knew such a little dog would be such an intrepid hiker? She even fell into Jodhi's old trailblazing role, taking the lead ahead of me while Brogan happily pants away in the anchor position.

Girl cooties from me are bad enough, but now
Brogan has to endure chihuahua girl cooties. Berk!



No comments:

Post a Comment